Child custody when an affair partner is present

On behalf of Bryson Law Firm, PLC | May 6, 2020 | Family Law | 0 comment

Finding out that your spouse is having an affair is a rough situation. Learning that they’re leaving you and building a life with that person is even more difficult. When there are children involved, it can be a complex challenge that doesn’t have any easy answers.

One of the best things that you can do is to remember that your ex’s decisions are theirs to live with. Your children will be impacted by the fact that their parent lives with someone new. However, looking at the specifics of the situation from a practical standpoint might be beneficial.

Find out how the affair partner is treating your child. Even though that person contributed to your marriage ending, they may still treat your child well. If this is the case, you shouldn’t worry about them being present when your child visits your ex. Instead, you can use the time you have to work on healing from the emotional trauma you experienced.

Take the time to review the parenting plan you have in place or that has been proposed. There’s a chance that a provision will be included that forbids the child from being in a home with overnight romantic guests of the parent unless they are married. If this is the case, you can use that to insist that the affair partner leaves, at least for the overnight hours, when your child is there.

If you have a valid concern about your child’s safety when they’re at that home, you may need to take action. Speak with your attorney about the situation so they can help you to find out what options you have for handling it.